Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Where did you spend your Easter?

Didn't take long for her to figure out this one!

Look what the Easter Bunny brought Mommy!

Happy Easter Sidney!


This was quite a memorable Easter for me, not because we had an amazing Easter Dinner or we spent the time with some long lost family members, but because we spent the evening in the Emergency Room. That's right . . . I managed to have an old sports injury get the best of me and I ended up in the ER! I wish I had a really cool story to go along with it like I was playing tackle football at the family gathering or that I decided to show off doing back flips on our new trampoline. NOOOO, this was a boring "I'm just a mom now with no pizazz" story.



So, in short, Everett was sitting on my knees while I was squatting (I was consoling him) and when he sat up, I lost balance and tried to catch my fall. In the process I put my arm in a strangely compromising position, hit a cabinet and "POP", out went my shoulder. This has happened at least half a dozen times over the last decade doing various athletic activities. The original injury occured while snow skiing. But in the past the shoulder has always popped back in place. The occurence was a couple years ago while playing dodge ball with the youth. That time the shoulder popped back after 10 minutes of manipulation (the longest time yet). Since that day I've given up most sports that use the shoulder including baseball, volleyball, tennis and football. Sadly, it has largely affected the activities I can do with my little boys. But now, even just being a mom has not sheltered me from an almost inevitable outcome. The "bad shoulder" resurfaced this past Sunday and taught me a powerful lesson.



Thankfully, we were with Greg's family when it occured. With many helpful hands for our children Greg took me to the ER with little stress other than the injury itself. We were grateful for that! Two increasingly painful hours after the initial shoulder insult, my shoulder was back in place and home we went. Words of advice: Sometimes when you cry louder in the ER the doctor comes quicker!



So, I'll be gearing up for shoulder surgery this summer with 6 weeks of recovery to avoid having my shoulder dislocate again. At least that is the hope after surgery! Wow, that will be fun.



So how was everyone else's Easter?!
My little knights!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

Oh my goodness Jeanine. I'm SO sorry! That sounds/look so painful. Yikes! On the flip, I'm glad you had a nice easter (despite the ER) with your family. Your pictures look so fun. Your yard looks absolutely fabulous--I'm sorry I missed the hunt :(

Sydney looks SO adorable in her little dress, I love it!

Emily said...

I feel terrible about your arm! Please let me know if there's anything that I can do! And let me know when your surgery is going to happen.