Thursday, December 20, 2007

Who says boys can't be culinary













I almost gave up on my kids be handy in the kitchen. Last weekend we decided to have some fun making gingerbread boys since one of our favorite Christmas books is a classic that Greg had when he was a boy called "The Sweet Smell of Christmas." The book has a little bear who smells all kinds of wonderful smells to remind him that Christmas is almost here. Gingerbread boys happens to be one of them. I thought it would be a fun family tradition to make Gingerbread boys every Christmas, and so this tradition begins. Dawson had a blast decorating his cookies - he worked on them for 1/2 an hour! Everett loved eating them - that took about 2 minutes! Sidney is too young for Molasses, so she'll have to wait this one out until next year! We had fun and because I made the dough one day and cut, baked and decorated the next day it didn't seem to take forever. Well, maybe just a little less than forever. Though I wouldn't say its as easy as making chocolate chip cookies, I'm learning more patience to foster the culinary skills of my children.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

We made a Gingerbread house, but we used a kit that I got at Costco and it was probably a lot easier than making the gingerbread from scratch. Hats off to you! My kids have since devoured the house and I'm about ready to dump it when they're not looking!

Roney Family said...

Those look awesome and delicious to eat. Glad that you guys had fun!

Mindy said...

Your boys are so cute. (Your daughter is too.) Those cookies are so cute. What a fun idea!